Michael Jackson’s Legacy Scrutinized in New Sex Abuse Documentary

김동수 기자 / 기사승인 : 2019-07-22 18:06:38
  • 카카오톡 보내기
  • -
  • +
  • 인쇄

 

▲ [Photo source : 123RF]

[스페셜경제= Dongsu Kim] Nearly a decade after his death, Michael Jackson's legacy is under fire again in a documentary about alleged child sex abuse that the Jackson family has scrutinized.

The documentary entitled "Leaving Neverland," features two men currently in their 30s and 40s who claim that the "Thriller" singer befriended and sexually abused them starting from when they were 7 and 10 years old. The film is set to air on HBO on March 3 and 4 for the US and on March 6 and 7 in Britain's Channel 4.

The singer's family was outraged, according to Reuters, and Jackson's estate filed a lawsuit against HBO last week saying the documentary violated an agreement in 1992 that the US channel would not ridicule him. “Michael Jackson is innocent. Period,” the estate said.

However, HBO said in a statement that it would push through in airing the four-hour documentary and give the audience the chance to assess to the film as well as the claims made in it for themselves. After the broadcast, the cable is scheduled to air a conversation hosted by Oprah Winfrey with the film's director and the two subjects in front of an audience composed of sexual abuse survivors, as per a Reuters report.

"Leaving Neverland" is focused on alleged victims Wade Robson and James Safechuck, the report said. They narrate the experiences, in graphic detail, that they've had with Jackson in Neverland and elsewhere during the early 1990s. The two men said, during those times, they were in love with the singer.

At a 2005 trial, Robson testified in defense for Jackson. He and Safechuck said they only saw their experiences with Jackson in a new light after they became fathers of their own young sons. After the singer's death, they filed sexual misconduct charges that sought hundreds of millions of dollars from the singer's estate, but both cases were dismissed and are now being appealed.

Director Dan Reed said he aimed to make a documentary that focused on Robson and Safechuck's experiences, noting that it also features interviews and denials Jackson gave regarding accusations of sexual misconduct while he was still alive.


죽어서도 성추행 혐의..故 마이클 잭슨, 다큐멘터리 방영 이후 큰 타격 입어

[스페셜경제= 김동수 기자] 고(故) 마이클 잭슨의 성추행 의혹이 담긴 다큐멘터리가 방송돼 전 세계 팬들의 이목이 집중됐다.

그 결과 마이클 잭슨의 스트리밍 등 다양한 매체에서의 매출이 급격히 하락하고 있다. 특히 잭슨의 앨범 매출은 약 4% 감소했고, 오디오 및 비디오 매출도 약 5% 떨어졌으며 라디오 방송 횟수도 약 13% 급감했다.

이에 잭슨의 유족은 성추행 혐의 주장을 전면 부인하고 있으며, 잭슨의 유산 관리인들도 다큐멘터리를 방송한 HBO 등에 소송을 제기했다.

[저작권자ⓒ 스페셜경제. 무단전재-재배포 금지]

김동수 기자

오늘의 이슈

뉴스댓글 >

주요기사

+

많이 본 기사

이슈포커스