North Korea Considers Suspending Nuclear Talks, Ban on Missile Tests

김동수 기자 / 기사승인 : 2019-11-14 16:26:53
  • 카카오톡 보내기
  • -
  • +
  • 인쇄

 

▲ [Photo source : Shutterstock]

 

[스페셜경제= Dongsu Kim] Rogue nation North Korea is reconsidering its participation on nuclear talks with the United States along with the ban on missile and nuclear tests unless the Western giant makes concessions, Vice Foreign Minister Choe Son Hui said as per news reports from Pyongyang on Friday.

The senior diplomat pointed her finger at top US officials for the failure of the summit last month between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Hanoi, Reuters reported citing Russia’s TASS news agency and the Associated Press (AP).

“We have no intention to yield to the U.S. demands (at the Hanoi summit) in any form, nor are we willing to engage in negotiations of this kind,” Choe told reporters in Pyongyang, as quoted by TASS.

The vice foreign minister also reportedly said US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, along with national security adviser John Bolton, triggered the hostile atmosphere and mistrust among the delegates that "obstructed the constructive efforts" for the negotiations between the US and North Korea's respective leaders.

She added that Kim is poised to make an official announcement soon regarding his stance on the denuclearization talks with the US and Pyongyang's succeeding actions.

Citing the Associated Press, Reuters reported Choe saying Washington "threw away a golden opportunity" during the Hanoi negotiations and cautioned that the North Korean leader might reconsider a moratorium regarding missile launches and nuclear tests.

The senior diplomat wanted to "make it clear that the gangster-like" stance of Washington would eventually take a toll on the situation and put it in danger, according to AP.

However, she added that: "Personal relations between the two supreme leaders are still good and the chemistry is mysteriously wonderful.”

Her remarks reiterated that of the North's usual comments at sensitive points in its negotiations with the US. According to North Korea expert Joshua Pollack, Pyongyang could be delivering an ultimatum. He said the isolated nation is "putting down a marker, saying which way things are headed if nothing changes."

 

북한, 핵 협상 중단, 미사일 실험 금지 고려

[스페셜경제= 김동수 기자] 한의 보도에 따르면 북한은 미국과의 핵 협상 참여를 재고할 계획이다.

최선희 외무부 차관은 지난 평양에서 보도된 바에 따르면 미국 측에서 양보하지 않는 한 미사일 및 핵실험 금지와 함께 미국과의 핵 관련 회담 참여를 재고하고 있다고 말했다.

고위 외교관은 하노이에서 열린 도널드 트럼프 미국 대통령과 김정은 북한 최고 지도자 정상 회담에 실패한 것에 대해 미국 고위 관리들을 손가락질했다. 

최 씨는 "우리는 어떤 형태로든 미국의 요구에 굴복할 의사가 없으며, 이런 종류의 협상에 관여할 의사가 없다"고 말했다.

마이크 폼페오 미 국무장관은 존 볼턴 미 국무장관과 함께 미국과 북한의 각 지도자 간 협상을 위한 건설적인 노력을 방해한 대표자들 사이에 적대적인 분위기와 불신을 촉발했다고 밝혔다.

그녀는 김정일이 미국과의 비핵화 회담에 대한 입장과 평양의 후속 행동에 대해 곧 공식발표 할 준비가 되었다고 덧붙였다.

로이터 통신은 최씨가 하노이 협상 중에 워싱턴이 "골든 기회를 버렸다"고 말하면서 북한 지도자가 미사일 발사 및 핵실험에 관한 유예 조치를 재고할 것이라고 경고했다.

그녀는 다음과 같이 덧붙였다. "두 최고 지도자 사이의 개인적 관계는 여전히 좋고 화학은 신비적으로 훌륭하다."

[저작권자ⓒ 스페셜경제. 무단전재-재배포 금지]

김동수 기자

오늘의 이슈

뉴스댓글 >

주요기사

+

많이 본 기사

이슈포커스