Pentagon Set to Deploy Additional 3,750 Troops to Mexican Border

김동수 기자 / 기사승인 : 2019-02-07 16:47:58
  • 카카오톡 보내기
  • -
  • +
  • 인쇄
[Photo source : Wikimedia Commons]
[Photo source : Wikimedia Commons]


[스페셜경제= Dongsu Kim]The Pentagon announced on Sunday that it will deploy another 3,750 troops to the US-Mexico border, as President Donald Trump continues to demand stronger security at the border amid a wave of Central American migrants.


The additional number of troops will bring the total number of forces helping out on the mission at the border to about 4,350, CNBC reports, citing estimates from the Department of Defense. It was approved by Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan earlier last month and is scheduled to last for 90 days.


Moreover, the border mission includes capabilities for mobile surveillance as well as the emplacement of about 150 miles of concertina wire between entry ports. The Pentagon initially approved the deployment of active-duty troops to the Mexican border in October last year, prior to the US midterm congressional elections.


Trump made the group of an estimated 3,500 migrants from Central America seeking refuge as one of his main targets before the midterm elections. The Republican president called the caravan an "invasion," and argued that Democrats wish for open borders, CNBC reports.


The deployment has been criticized as a political stunt made to support Trump's campaign promise to secure the ports of entry to the US. Secretary of Defense James Mattis downplayed the scrutiny, saying that the Pentagon is giving "practical support based on the request from the commissioner of customs and border police." He added that they "don't do stunts" in the defense department.


The latest announcement came after a partial government shutdown, which lasted for 35 days, caused by the standoff over Trump's demand for a fund of $5.7 billion to build a border wall.


During an interview with CBS, Trump said he is considering options such as shutting down the federal government again and declaring a state of national emergency in addressing the issue of border security.


"It's national emergency, it's other things and you know there have been plenty of national emergencies called," he said during the interview broadcasted on Sunday. "And this really is an invasion of our country by human traffickers."


"We're going to have a strong border. And the only way you have a strong border is you need a physical barrier. You need a wall. And anybody that says you don't, they're just playing games," he added.



美 국방부, 멕시코 국경에 3천 명 이상 병력 추가 배치 계획


[스페셜경제= 김동수 기자]미 국방부는 중앙 아메리카 이민자들이 쇄도하는 가운데 국경의 안보를 더욱 철저히 해달라는 도널드 트럼프 대통령의 요청에 따라 미국과 멕시코 국경에 3,750여 명의 병력을 추가로 배치할 예정이다.


추가 병력이 배치되고 나면 국경 병력은 총 4,350여 명이 된다. CNBC의 보도에 따르면 이 계획은 패트릭 샤나한 국방장관의 승인을 받았으며 병력 배치는 90일 동안 이어진다.


국경에서는 모바일 감시 뿐만 아니라 국경 진입로에 와이어를 설치하는 등의 활동이 이뤄질 예정이다. 미 국방부는 지난 해 10월 현역 군대를 국경에 배치하는 계획을 승인한 바 있다.


트럼프 대통령은 중간 선거 이전에 약 3,500명에 달하는 중앙 아메리카 출신 이민자들을 주요 목표로 삼고 계속해서 국경 폐쇄를 주장했다. 공화당은 캐러밴의 행렬을 침략이라고 불렀으며 민주당은 열린 국경을 원한다고 주장했다.


미 국방부의 이런 결정은 미국 국경을 굳건히 걸어 잠그겠다는 트럼프 대통령의 약속을 지지하는 정치적 쇼라고 비난을 받았다. 당시 국방장관이던 제임스 매티스는 "이것은 국가의 요청에 따른 실질적인 지원이다. 국방부의 쇼가 아니다"라고 말했다.


이 소식은 트럼프 대통령이 국경 장벽 건설을 위해 57억 달러(약 6조 4,000억 원)의 기금을 요구한 것에 대한 대립으로 35일 동안이나 지속된 정부 셧다운 이후에 발표된 것이다.


CBS와의 인터뷰에서 트럼프 대통령은 연방 정부를 다시 셧다운하고 국경 보안 문제를 해결하기 위해 국가 비상 사태를 선포하는 등의 옵션을 고려 중이라고 밝혔다.


그는 "이것은 국가적인 비상 사태이며, 인신매매업자들이 미국으로 침략하는 것이나 다름없다"고 말했다. 또한 "우리는 강한 국경을 원한다. 그리고 국경을 강화하는 유일한 방법은 물리적 장벽을 쌓는 것이다. 우리는 벽이 필요하다. 벽이 필요하지 않다고 말하는 사람은 그저 게임을 즐기고 있을 뿐이다"라고 덧붙였다.


[저작권자ⓒ 스페셜경제. 무단전재-재배포 금지]

김동수 기자

오늘의 이슈

뉴스댓글 >

주요기사

+

많이 본 기사

이슈포커스